Letterpress Plans For 2013
A successful Vancouver Letterpress League meetup tonight. Always nice to meet new folks – we had some promo on Vancouver’s Daily Secret – so it looks like the VLL is definitely expanding.
Tonight Brenda from Spicer’s paper explained the services they can provide for letterpress printers and designers. She brought sample books and also a generous letterpress card giveaway from the Ladies of Letterpress/Lettra collaboration. Thanks again.
The Vancouver Letterpress League wants to be a resource for people researching letterpress in Vancouver, and a go-to for expert information. Projects that came out of tonight’s meetup:
- New website (Thanks Travis)
- Coordinating an online list of VLL members and what skills we offer (thanks Jackie)
- New events page and list of resources / workshops / classes
Planned activities for 2013:
- EVENT: we are working towards an event in October, connected around the Wayzgoose timing. It may include demonstrations for the public, large-scale printing, a movie screening. It could be a standalone event or partnered with an existing event. February meeting will report back on location possibilities and partnerships.
- PRINTING: collaborative letterpress printing project, bringing together designers/illustrators/printers and others. Final project will be available as a limited edition and will be for sale. Details soon!
Here’s our wish list of things we’d like to see:
- A private meeting location that holds 10-15 comfortably – a studio, shop?
- Steamroller printing
- Studio tours – including bookbinding- and guest speakers
- Long term – Community letterpress access- building a place for workshops and demos
- Collaboration with illustrators/printers
- More socials
- Movie screening
- Learning about making inks
We have a wide variety of interests and talents in this network. If there is something you would like to offer, host, or organize please get in touch.
Meeting location suggestions will be taken until January 25, otherwise the Feb meetup will be at Rhizome Cafe, TBA.